Saturday 21 September 2013

September/Student Athlete

We're pretty far into September now (and I don't know how that happened because I swear it was July like yesterday) and that means two things: 1. It's my birthday month and 2. It's back to school.

Now compared to most people I have a pretty light work load since I only take two classes a semester but when you factor in training twice a day, my excellent procrastination skills and my moderate dislike of schooling of any kind it's just another stress that I would rather not deal with.  These days I show up to class (sometimes late depending on skating) sit there, take my notes and then as soon as it's done I pack up and book it out of there either to go get something to eat or to go warm up for training.  I don't talk to anyone, I don't make friends.  I have spent many nights having various meltdowns over school (mostly over not wanting to go) but having no plans for the future and not doing post-secondary just doesn't make sense (and there is no way to make a living off speed skating ... why couldn't I be a male hockey player instead?)

I got a little off topic there but what I'm trying to get at is that most elite athletes have to juggle the stress of putting everything they have into their sport but also trying to get an education because when you stop competing the funding stops and you have to get on with your normal life.  Some athletes even have to juggle training, school and work because sport can be very expensive (I'm lucky enough that my parents are able to support me because it costs me more than I could ever make working part time to skate right now).

This PSA from CAN Fund explains it a lot better than I ever could:

No comments:

Post a Comment