Friday 25 April 2014

Smoothie 101

I know, I know it's been a long time since my last post but in my defence it was exam season but as of yesterday exams are done and "Skates and Stuff" is back in full swing!


Smoothies are one of my favourite quick and easy snacks, you can take one on the run, replace a small meal with one, and they are often a go-to recovery drink for athletes since you can get a lot of benefits from just one cup.


The basics of any smoothie are frozen fruit (or fresh fruit and ice), yogurt, half a banana and some kind of liquid (milk, water, juice or a combination.  The amount of frozen fruit or ice depends on the consistency you want for example more frozen/less liquid will produce a thicker smoothie.  Any kind of yogurt will do but I prefer greek because it has more protein and less carbs and protein helps to keep you full and helps your muscles recover after a workout.


Here's where it can get fun.  You can basically add whatever you want to your smoothie to customize it to your needs.  If you're using the smoothie as a meal replacement some protein powder would be ideal so you don't get hungry again soon after.  If using protein powder I would suggest using juice as your liquid since protein powder often has a strong taste that can overpower some of the fruit.  Cinnamon can also be added for more flavour as it is better for you than adding more sugars.  I often also add ground flaxseed which is high in omega-3 and fibre and for more iron and vitamins I will sometimes add some greens like kale or spinach and when they're all blended up you don't even notice they're there.

The finished product, yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment